Monday, November 14, 2011

The End of The Gita


I know I have been absent from class for the past few meetings, and this is because I hurt my back and have been taking insane amounts of pain pills and what not to try to make it feel better. I attempted to do some relaxing poses at home on my own while away, but my back simply could not handle even the slightest bit of activity. I was in a car accident about a year ago and my back hasn’t been the same since. So I apologize for not being there.

As far as the rest of the Gita goes, I thought the last chapters were much more difficult to understand, even with the help of the introductions at the beginning of each chapter. Not only were there a lot of terms to follow, but the concepts that accompanied the terms were quite confusing as well. This is one of the difficulties I had with Krishna, because his technicality and precision in explaining the Way is not necessarily what I consider to be in the realm of the divine. Not that it is not acceptable to think of it in the way the Gita portrays it, I think it is an interesting way to consider our own faith and values, as well as the philosophy behind life in general. The ambiguity of the idea of awareness, the concept of the “field,” and Krishna’s explanation of the relationship between thoughts and actions are very much important ideas that have endured throughout the history of philosophy – so I thought it was interesting to consider an alternative exploration of such complex ideas that takes into consideration the physical, virtuous, and contemplative aspects of how one can perfect his/herself. Despite the difficulties in grasping many of the concepts throughout the book, I think The Bhagavad Gita would be an interesting read for maybe a cultures class or social world – the lessons/concepts explored throughout the conversation are interesting points to consider.

No comments:

Post a Comment